- Six French horns, recorded at Synchron Stage Vienna
- Multiple microphone positions, additional close-mic positions
- Full-fledged set of articulations with up to five velocity layers
- From mysterious pianissimos to heroic fortissimos
- Real legatos, glissandos, swells, rips, flutter tonguing, trills, etc.
During the last several years of recording big projects for film, games and commercials at Synchron Stage Vienna, our engineers have had extensive experience recording various horn ensemble sizes. Having identified a sweet spot of six double horns, that’s the ensemble size we chose for the recordings of Big Bang Orchestra: Jupiter. Its compelling sound is well rounded from pianissimo to fortissimo, and it’s extremely powerful in the louder ranges.
Working with Viennese musicians, the Vienna Horn would be the natural choice, but the double French horn is the gold standard in film scoring, so that’s what we’ve recorded for this installment of the Big Bang Orchestra. The large “Stage A” magnificently emphasizes the characteristics of the horns, and their glorious sound is captured with skillful miking by Synchron Stage’s chief recording engineer, Bernd Mazagg.
The library boasts a rich set of articulations, with up to five velocity layers, variations of short notes, marcatos, real legatos, several dynamic articulations (sfz, sffz, various crescendos and decrescendos), flutter tonguing, trills, rips and fast repetitions.
The horns of BBO: Jupiter are completely new recordings that can be combined with the tutti recordings of the Big Bang Orchestra to create an even brassier orchestral sound. The Synchron Player offers mixer presets that integrate seamlessly with all the other modules of the Big Bang Orchestra. What’s more, the “Processed” category offers mixer presets such as “Compressed”, “Sparkling”, “Wall of Low Horns”, “Howling Horns”, “Threatening Sustain” and more that correspond with the brass presets of Big Bang Orchestra: Hercules, Izar and Korpernikus.
Big Bang Orchestra: Jupiter - Sample Content
Big Bang Orchestra: Jupiter
- Short notes, bold and agile
- Sustained regular, soft, marcato, and espressivo
- Legato regular, soft, and marcato
- Sforzato, sforzatissimo, swells short and long, soft and very soft swells, soft diminuendo
- Flutter tonguing
- Half and whole tone trills
- Fast repetitions, staccato at 120/140/160 BPM
Big Bang Orchestra: Jupiter - System Requirements
- PC Windows 7/8/10 (latest update, 64-bit), Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2
- OS X 10.10 (latest update) or higher, Intel Core 2 Duo
- Hard drive for sample content: 7200 rpm or faster (SSD recommended)
- 8 GB RAM
- AU/VST/AAX Native compatible host (AAX version requires Pro Tools 10.3.5 or higher)
- VIENNA KEY (Vienna Symphonic Library USB protection device) or other USB eLicenser (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia)
- 5.93 GB free hard drive space
Other configurations may work but are not actively supported.
- Windows 7/8/10 (latest update, 64-bit), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
- macOS 10.12 (or higher), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
- SSD (M2, Sata 6 or USB3/3.1 UASP Support) for sample content
- 88 key master keyboard